Sunday, October 3, 2010

What EVER Happened to the Golden Rule?

After reading a rather disturbing article in the New York Times, I feel that is imperative that I share it with all of you. Being a supposed "liberal" (who even knows what that entails in this day and age) I have a lot of compassion and acceptance of people and groups that are struggling to be accepted into society (CIVIL RIGHTS). I especially have a lot of compassion for gay and lesbian groups, although I cannot understand exactly where they are coming from in their views and actions- I do understand that it is required by our Founding Fathers that all citizens of this Nation are treated fairly and equally. Discrimination in this form goes against everything our Nation was founded upon. Although I can accept the opinions of Conservatives that feel that being homosexual goes against the word of God, I do not agree. Me, being a white, female, and straight American, am under the demographic of possibly not being able to understand the hardships and struggles homosexual Americans go through, I sympathize and respect every person, no matter their sexual preference.

In this article, you will read about the increase in teen suicides due to discrimination and taunting. It is very surprising to begin to understand how prevalent this type of situation in our Nation. To my dismay, and according to the article"nearly 9 of 10 gay, lesbian, transgender or bisexual middle and high school students suffered physical or verbal harassment in 2009, ranging from taunts to outright beatings." Although I can highly respect those who disagree with me, there is nothing about that type of taunting that is either constitutional or just. There is no law against disagreeing with a person's views (I believe that indeed is completely just) but intentionally trying to eliminate or offend a entire demographic of people is not the answer.


I believe that there is a grand difference between disagreeing with a man or woman's lifestyle, and actively trying to put down or chastise said lifestyle, in the article there are many references to "hate groups" both in our communities and on the internet. I hope that local lawmakers will take action steps in eliminating such discrimination.

No comments:

Post a Comment